So last week. I decided to give graphic design another go. I never really gave up on it. I just disliked Insearch that much. And I really thought that I'd be happier with Photography. So I dropped out of Insearch and enrolled into TAFE for a Introductory Photography Course. The first two thirds were a really learning curve. So I bought a DSLR - technically my dad did and I'm paying the credit card off - Nikon D60.
By learning the manual process it's definitely made me appreciate photography more. But with my new appreciation I learnt that graphic design really is for me. On top of taking a great photo I also love playing with it on photoshop, or just using the photo as a base for a completely different piece that I can do on illustrator - though my skills on that are still in the early development phase. So the cliffnotes? I'm back to looking for a career in the Visual Communication Industry. I'm not going back to Insearch. I refuse. The hours are insane and way more than double what first year visual comm students are doing. Though you could argue that they earned that by actually making it into the course. So. What did I get up to last week? I got my act together and applied for TAFE - CertIV Graphic Design Foundation - Full Time @ Kingswood, where I'm currently doing Intro to Photography. The process is abit laboured. Need to fill out an Application Form (which I did and sent out last Tuesday by ExpressPost) but then I found out Thursday that not only do you have to mail an application you also need to design an A3 poster. So I filled another form out and designed a poster. Definitely missed designing, which only reaffirmed that VisComm is really for me.
So Friday my lovely mother drove me out to Penrith TAFE so I can personally hand in my poster, so i didn't have to courier it, as Friday was the LAST day for application forms. Then she drove me to Kingswood to RSVP an interview/assessment place - which i thought was strange since you only get offered a place if you past the application/poster stage. WHICH I DID GET OFFERED!!! I found out yesterday. My parents were pleased. They have seriously been nagging the crap out of my about uni. Typical Asian parents wanting their kids to go to University. TAFE just doesn't make their tertiary education radar. Even though I am doing this TAFE course right now my mum would every now and then ask if I was going back to uni...for what?
But now I'm seriously thinking about applying for VisComm @ UTS/UWS or Design @ COFA for 2009. But I'm just taking things as they come right now, lets just see how Stage2 for Graphic Design at TAFE goes.
No comments:
Post a Comment